Blooms and Butterflies Walk
Sunday, May 16, 2021 | 11:00 am
11:00 am - 11:30 AMMap It | Share it
This program is limited to one individual, household or party. There is one ticket available for the program. Your group is limited to 9 people, regardless of age. Masks are required for everyone over 2 years old.
Join on us for a short stroll of approximately a half mile, as we look for Karner blue butterflies and the wild blue lupine flowers these butterflies rely on for their survival. Once common in the glacial Lake Albany sand belt, the Karner blue has plummeted in numbers over the past 40 years and is now listed as a federally endangered species. Come learn about the natural history of the Karner blue and what efforts are underway to rescue this species from the brink of extinction. This program will meet at the wooden and metal kiosk at trailhead #1 (not inside the Discovery Center).
This event is part of Lupine Fest 2021. For more information visit www.AlbanyLupineFest.org
In response to the Coronavirus pandemic and current NYS phase 4 reopening guidelines, our public programs have changed. Naturalist walks will take place entirely outside and are open to only one individual, household or party. As is the nature with public programs, our leaders will sometimes have to adapt the program due to weather, ability of attendees or other unforeseen circumstances. If you have specific questions about public programs or are wondering if a program is right for you please contact us at (518) 456-0655. Please read the information below:
- Reservations required – Reservations are required for all public programs. Please call us at (518) 456-0655 or visit www.AlbanyPineBush.org/events to make a reservation. Walk-ins will not be accepted.
- Mask Required – Masks must be worn by program participants over the age of 2 years old. Program leaders will also wear masks.
- If you don’t feel well stay home – Do not attend a program if you don’t feel well.
- Only one individual, household or party per program – In compliance with NYS phase 4 reopening guidelines our programs will be limited to one individual, household or party per program.
- Maximum of 9 – Your party is limited to a maximum of 9 people (regardless of age)
- Programs meet outside – Programs will not meet inside the Discover Center. Read the program description for specific information on where your program will meet.
- No waitlist - In the event that a program is full, spaces will not open up unless someone cancels their reservation.
- Reserve a spot for everyone – Reservations are required for all attendees (regardless of age).
- Accompany minors - Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- No pets - Pets are not permitted in programs.
- Fees - Public programs are free unless otherwise stated. Some programs may have a suggested donation.
- Programs begin promptly - Please plan to arrive at least 5-10 minutes before the start of the program to check In. Notify us if you need to cancel your reservation.
- Give others the chance to participate - If you make a reservation for a program and then decide you will not be able to attend please call us or cancel your reservation online to open up those spaces to others.
- No smoking or vaping – Smoking, vaping or use of tobacco products are not permitted in programs.
- Appropriate clothing and footwear required – Program participants must wear clothing and footwear appropriate for the weather and the program they are attending. If you have questions about how to be prepared or what the trail conditions are please contact us.
- All guests are welcome and encouraged to actively participate in our limited access in-person and virtual programs through interactive questions and conversation. The Albany Pine Bush Preserve Commission (APBPC) requests that guests respect that such interactions will be respectful and that the content of such interactions will be pertinent to our in-person and virtual programs.
Trailhead #1 Karner Barrens
From NYS I-90: Take I-90 (East or West) to I-87 (Northway) North. From I-87: Take exit 2W (Rt 5 West, Central Ave). Follow Rt 5 for 2 miles then turn left onto Rt 155 (New Karner Rd). Continue on Rt 155 for about 1.2 miles. The Discovery Center is located on the left at 195 New Karner Road. The trailhead is at the rear of the building.