Summer Environmental Educator Internship
The Summer Environmental Educator Internship is a 12-week program, totaling 450 hours of completed work. The primary responsibility of the Summer Environmental Educator Intern is to promote a greater public awareness and appreciation for the Albany Pine Bush Preserve through education. Interns, after completing training, will lead interpretive walks through the Albany Pine Bush Preserve and at the Albany Pine Bush Discovery Center and interact with preserve and Discovery Center visitors in an educational capacity. In addition, interns will participate in public interpretive programs, assist with the development of programs and presentations, aid in the production of educational literature specific to the Pine Bush Preserve, and assist with care of live animals (turtles). Interns may also have the option of participating in Albany Pine Bush Preserve Commission (APBPC) science, fire, and stewardship activities.
In conjunction with a local college or university, the Albany Pine Bush Environmental Educator Intern can earn a predetermined number of credit hours through volunteering at the Discovery Center. It is the students’ responsibility to make specific arrangements with their school to receive credit hours for this internship.
- Use environmental education as a means to foster a greater appreciation for the unique natural and cultural attributes of the Albany Pine Bush Preserve.
- Participate in training including observation of APBPC education staff-led programs before leading any educational program.
- Assist with and lead scheduled interpretive walks and education programs at the Discovery Center, throughout the preserve and virtually for school groups, the public, camps, and special interest groups.
- Interact with visitors to the Discovery Center in an educational capacity.
- Travel to local schools, businesses, and special interest group meetings to assist with or lead educational programs and give multimedia presentations on inland pine barrens ecology, management, and history.
- Provide assistance to scheduled public program leaders.
- Assist Education staff with live animal care after required training.
- Assist Education staff with program preparation including room set up, gathering and creating program related materials.
- Gain knowledge of NYS Learning Standards.
- Aid in the development of school programs and presentations.
- Assist with the research, planning and production of educational literature including pamphlets and fact sheets.
- Potential to represent the Albany Pine Bush Preserve Commission at local outreach events.
- Participate in other Preserve staff activities. (Optional)
- Interest or background in natural science, environmental science, cultural or natural history interpretation, biology, elementary/secondary education or other related field.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a positive, enthusiastic attitude.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with people of all ages.
- Demonstrated experience in MS Office Suite programs, social media platforms and video editing.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Make day-to-day decisions as delegated by supervisor.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Willingness to travel locally and work flexible hours, including some weekends and evenings.
- Current certification in basic first aid and CPR preferred or willingness to become certified. Ability to work under stress during peak workload periods.
- Work requires minor physical exertion and infrequent exposure to inclement weather.
JOB TITLE: SUMMER ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION INTERNSHIP
JOB FAMILY: Education
FLSA STATUS: Internship
SUPERVISOR: Lead Educator
LOCATION: Albany, New York
DURATION: 12-weeks/Mid-May —Mid-August, 37.5 hours per week
COMPENSATION: Friends of the Pine Bush Community Stipend upon completed requirements-$4,000.00
HOUSING: Available, as taxable benefit
Deadline 4:00pm March 1, 2024
Albany Pine Bush Preserve Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Date Posted: 01-23-2023
Expire Date: Open until filled
Contact Name: Jackie Citriniti
Contact Email: email@example.com
Please e-mail cover letter, résumé, and three references to: Jackie Citriniti firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls please.