Monday, June 20, 2022 | 11:00 am
11:00 amMap It | Share it
Suitable for ages 6-10, tweens, teens and adults
A feast unfolds with the growth of new leaves…not for us, but for caterpillars! Celebrate National Pollinator Week on this approximately one and a half mile walk as we search for newly emerged moth and butterfly larvae (A.K.A. caterpillars) and the signs they leave behind.
This program will meet at the wooden and metal kiosk at the Hunger Kill Barrens trailhead (#10).
Public Program Guidlines:
- Reservations required – Reservations are required for all public programs. Please call us at (518) 456-0655, stop in to the Discovery Center or visit www.AlbanyPineBush.org/events to make a reservation.
- No waitlist - In the event that a program is full, spaces will not open up unless someone cancels their reservation.
- Reserve a spot for everyone – Reservations are required for all attendees (regardless of age).
- Accompany minors - Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Appropriate clothing and footwear required – Program participants must wear clothing and footwear appropriate for the weather and the program they are attending. If you have questions about how to be prepared or what the trail conditions are please contact us.
- No pets - Pets are not permitted in programs.
- Fees - Public programs are free unless otherwise stated. Some programs may have a materials or special program fee.
- Age guidelines - Age guidelines are listed for each public program. We encourage you to pick programs appropriate for the ages of the members of your group.
- Programs begin promptly - Please plan to arrive at least 5-10 minutes before the start of the program to check in. If you are late you may not be able to join the program. Please notify us if you need to cancel your reservation.
- Give others the chance to participate - If you make a reservation for a program and then decide you will not be able to attend please call us or cancel your reservation online to open up those spaces to others.
- Not suitable for groups - Public programs are not intended for groups of 8 or more. Groups with 8 or more people, please call us for special accommodations.
- No smoking or vaping – Smoking, vaping or use of tobacco products are not permitted in programs.
All guests are welcome and encouraged to actively participate in our in-person and virtual programs through interactive questions and conversation. The Albany Pine Bush Preserve Commission (APBPC) requests that guests respect that such interactions will be respectful and that the content of such interactions will be pertinent to our in-person and virtual programs.
Trailhead #10 Hunger Kill Barrens
Directions from Discovery Center to Hungerkill Barrens (Trailhead 10). At traffic light in front of Discovery Center building, continue straight through intersection, on Old State road .7 miles to 3 way stop intersection. At the stop sign continue straight for another 0.8 miles until you see East Lydius Street on your right. Turn right onto East Lydius Street and follow it for 2.2 miles, past Guilderland�s DiCaprio park on your left, until you see Benjamin Street on your left.�Turn left onto Benjamin Street and follow it through a residential neighborhood until it ends at a T - intersection with Salvia Lane.�Turn left onto Salvia Lane and follow it for a short distance until you come to the first stop sign.�At the stop sign turn left onto DiBella Drive.�Follow DiBella Drive a short distance until it dead ends at the Hungerkill Barrens parking lot and trailhead. There is room for many cars at this trailhead.